Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Welcome to Dot Racing!

Welcome to Dot Racing!

For my birthday/Christmas, my husband, Brad, got me a great gift: a Garmin Forerunner 405 GPS watch. I've been having so much fun uploading routes from it, I decided to start a blog as a place to post them.

The 'Player' feature on Garmin's site is my favorite. I run mostly trails, so it's pretty cool to see exactly where I went in Google maps. And I like how you can visually see how the speed changes with the steepness/elevation of the trail.

Here's one of my first routes. Click the map or link below to go to the Garmin Connect site.
http://connect.garmin.com/player/1503788
1. On the map image on the Garmin site, select the "Hybrid" box
2. Press the "Play" button

The 'Player' also reminds me of Dot Racing at Oakland A's games - you pick one of three dots to cheer for as they race laps around an oval track on the scoreboard. Totally silly, but entertaining (if you have beer and peanuts, everything is entertaining...).

Hence, the name: Dot Racing.

Apparently, Dot Racing at the A's game has all advanced graphics now. But I still like the old school version:



I'm looking forward to uploading more routes. Hope you come back and check them out!

Julie

P.S. - Turns out there's a Dot Racing feature on Motion Based's site, the precursor to Garmin's site. I hope they add it to http://connect.garmin.com soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment